Saturday, September 20, 2008

2006 Yamaha WR 450F, In the beginning



I just got a used Yamaha 2006 WR-450F 4 stoke, 2 wheel, racing desert machine. I am very excited to see the nice blue bike out in the garage. I have been riding Motorcycles for a long time and I traded, and sold two other machines,and then begged, borrowed, and stole, all I could to get into a new (to me) WR 450. I can't wait to take it out to the track and see what it will do. I am not a big track rider, I prefer the desert and the mountain trails, but the track is close and this bike should feel at home on a Motocross track. I am thinking I can get used to the power and feel of the machine very quickly. We are headed to the track this morning so wish me luck. I have ridden a lot of big bore 2 strokes, and so I know the true punch of a machine roaring to life. I think this bike offers some of the same power. Hopefully the power of this engine is smoother and easier to control and enjoy. This bike has also been modified to run better and use all the power. I know the air box restriction is gone. The throttle stop is removed, and the carburetor pollution pump has been changed. I am sure the gray wire has been cut but I didn't get a chance to check it yet to make sure. I have many things to learn about the bike so I guess the first thing I need to do is find a shop manual, figure our how to change the oil, check all the fluids, etc.

No comments: