Monday, September 22, 2008

Yamaha WR 450 First Ride Impressions. This 450 goes

I really liked Riding my new 200 Yamaha WR 450 Motorcycle. I put it to the test at the track putting 35 miles on it in various conditions. Mud, dust, dirt, rocks, silt, and jumps. I was a bit let down with the top heavy feeling of the WR 450. They still have not figured out how to get a bike that feels and rides like a 250 two stroke. I guess I am complaining about the weight I knew I was getting when I opted for an electric start WR 450 with lights, and a battery. The front felt heavy when I first got on the motorcycle and tried to put the front wheel hard into a corner. I felt the bike want to wash out and not turn for me. I was immediately let down. My previous Suzuki DR 350 was squirrely and I wanted to get away from that with this new bike. I can't blame the bike completely the front tire has the stock tire and is pretty worn out. I will investigate a new tire. As the day progressed and I got better and riding and understanding the feel of the bike I didn't notice the front end as much. The overall feel of the bike is a bit heavy, or I am well let's say I am not 20 years old anymore.

The Power was great, low end torque and thump, and higher immediate revs which jump up and make the machine go. I was very impressed with the grunt and zoom of the engine. It will lift the wheel in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I didn't spend a lot of time trying to wheelie, but the power is definitely available if you want it.

The Speedometer and trip odometer is cool, but I didn't really look at it much while riding. I was not in the habit of looking at my speed while dirt riding.

No comments: