Saturday, September 20, 2008

WR450F Pre Flight Oil Check




I am ready to roll the bike is on the trailer, my gear is mostly packed, look at race track here we come. I wanted to make a list of things to check and maintain on the new WR. I checked the oil, it looked clean and good. I heard that it's a good idea to change the oil after about 5 hours of riding, or after every other trip. This seems really extreme, but when It was explained to me it makes sense. The engine is tuned to run at high compression and high RPMs. This puts a lot of use on the oil, plus this is a Dirt Bike, meaning the condition for riding the bike are dirty dusty, and hot. So if the oil doesn't break down the chances of it getting contaminated are good. One other thing to realize is the bike has a very small oil tank and capacity. 1.3 quarts or less. So like I said the oil gets a lot of use in a short time.

So how do you check and change the oil? I did not know, so I had to do a search, I found that the oil level check dip stick is on the frame up by the gas tank. I am guessing that filling it to the top of the dip stick is the correct thing to do. That is how this bike is filled so I will assume that is correct.

What kind of oil and what weight oil should I use when changing it? I will find that out and update this post.

1 comment:

motarder said...

check the manual for your year model, but normally you have run the bike for a while, then let the engine sit for a minute or three THEN measure the oil level. otherwise nothing will show and you'll overfill it!