Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Holy Expensive Oil Change Batman!!


WOW, I just changed the oil on the WR-450F for the first time last weekend. I have been thinking about this for the past couple of days. First off it only take 1 quart of oil and the filters are small, so whats the big deal. Good Hell Batman a single quart of Oil is $10.06, yup 10 dollars and six cents. Lets think about that for a minute, I know oil was over 120 a barrel, now its 79 bucks a Barrel. People cried, our economy died, the Great second depression is setting in. Oh my!

So from Wikipedia I see that:
The standard barrel of crude oil or other petroleum product (abbreviated bbl) is 42 US gallons (34.972 Imperial gallons or 158.987 L). This measurement originated in the early Pennsylvania oil fields, and permitted both British and American merchants to refer to the same unit, based on the old English wine measure, the tierce.

4 quarts in a gallon, 42 gallons in a Barrel, 4 * 42 = 168 quarts.

So at 79 dollars a barrel the cost of the oil is, $79.00/ 168 = .47 cents per quart bought as light sweet Texas Crude.

Holy Hell Batman, the Oil I just bought to a Local Motorcycle Store is:
168 quarts at $10.06 so that is 168 * 10.06 = $1690.08 Dollars per Barrel.

HOLY SHEEP DIP BATMAN, some one is getting the squeeze, and I now see it is me.

Now on to the filter, the filter is about the size of a half roll of half dollar coins and just as expensive. $11.99 for a Yamaha WR-450 oil filter, Genuine Yamaha Part Number 5D3-13440-00. Yikes, a Fram for the Jeep is 4 bucks at auto parts are us.

Wow now it's a good thing I only have to change the oil on this Yamaha every five hours and the filter every 10. Ten hours that is about 400 miles if I ride it hard at 40 miles per hour for 10 straight hours. Every other Car, Truck or Harley in the world runs thousands if not more miles on an oil change.

So I went with a semi blend of 50 percent oil and 50 percent fake oil, I was thinking this may help extend the life cycle of the oil and the transmission.

I also know about all the other Yabuts, Yabut if the motor blow, yabut it good protection, yabut.... I'm just saying this might get old and expensive.

Next up I will bitch about the Exhaust pipe placement and how it makes the oil change a lot more fun.

No comments: