Thursday, October 30, 2008

Jumping Jimminie, I had some fun today.


I skipped out of work for the last half of the day, or the afternoon, if I was trying to make sense. A group of my new best friends convinced me to hit the Jordan River Parkway Motocross Track in North Salt Lake again. SWEET JUMPING MULLET BATMAN I had fun. I am now very comfortable with the weight, power and feel of the WR-450F. Yamaha has done what they needed to getting the power up and weight down as much as possible for a big 4 stroke engine with a head light, tail light, battery, and electric start. I know this is a 2006 Yamaha and the 2008 WR-450s are probably even better but this is what I have and I do like it.

Well anyway, I got some serious fun riding time in. I was able to warm up on the medium track and take about 5 laps all by myself. Then when all the other jumpers showed up we played on the small track for a few laps, then we hit the big track big time. On the first lap I was getting a feel for things and trying to remember which jump was safe to case the up hill side if I didn't make the double and which one I needed to be careful of. Then I got to the very last big jump. I was confident I remember it from last time, I wrapped it up in 3rd maybe 4th and I was off, man I was flying, this was a big jump for me. Yippee, then, um, well, um, double flat tire landing on the uphill side, I missed clearing the monster double by about one bike length. I came down on the bike hard. I stayed on my wheels, which is good. But my face and helmet went into the handle bars with a thump. Ding Dong, Ring goes the bell in my head. So like every proud dork who just about crashed I rode over to my new best friends and said, "Did you see that?" Yup they all did, wow. As I collected myself my left ankle started to hurt a bit. Don't know maybe it will hurt in the morning.

This picture is me on the famous jump that eat my helmet. I lived to jump it again, and again. I like it, I think I need more. This pictures is on one of my more conservative attempts. I love Motorcycle, and love trail riding, camping getting dirt and the sand. The Track is new to me. I had a motto for a lot of years. If I don't jump I don't get hurt. This motto goes out the window when you hit the track. 1.7 miles of tight turns and 10+ jumps. These are also big jumps, not little sand dune bumps with a nice soft sandy landing if you crash.

No comments: