Sunday, October 5, 2008

To Paddle or not to Paddle? That is the question.

oK, sO I wAS a NoodlE and I didn't put on my paddle tire. The WR450F needed the paddle, I was not doing my new Yamaha true justice without the extra traction. I wish I would have had it to climb Sand Mountain. Oh yes I was only able to climb sand mountain once going really slow doing the silly fish foot wave. I was going really slow but I was at least in third gear with the revs way up high. So in the sand the wr450 has the Yamaha power to pull the hills and keep the revs up up high. If I had a paddle I am sure I could go way fast. I still am not sure if it will keep up with the 2 stroke big boys with paddle but it does go really well.

The rest of the weekend at the Little Sahara Sand dunes was an absolute blast. It rained and rained and rained, so the sand was wet and hard. This really helped the wr make some serious tracks. I was able to bring the front wheel up in first, second and third gear anytime I wanted to over bumps and whoops. I am not a big monster wheelie rider but you can't leave the front wheel on the ground all the time.

So to summarize the Wr450 is a great bike all around, with lots of power, on this trip the bike felt lighter in the handle bars, and easier to ride. I was not so fatigued and worried about falling off. I guess that is the difference between Track Riding and Trail/Dunes riding. The high reving 4 stroke was amazing with it's power and feel in the sand. I was impressed with the way the bike handled and how I was able to keep it under me on the sand. This trip the sand was really wet and hard packed so the conditions were not completely sandy and soft. I think I will go back again in 2 weeks and next time I will take the paddle, and the newly rebuilt CR500R. HOLD ON TIGHT!!

No comments: