Monday, October 6, 2008

My 2006 WR450F vs. Sand Mountain at the Jericho Sand Dunes.

So how did the new WR do against Sand Mountain at Little Sahara? Considering I did not put on a paddle tire I think it did really well. I was able to use all the power it had and climb the back side in 4th gear with the wheel spinning outta control. The bike stayed in the power and the RPMs on the rear wheel stayed high. I was certainly not winning any races, as I know that without a paddle a bike can't race.

Then when I headed to the front side, the monster hill, the steeper hill, the hill that needs big bore 2 stroke monster machines to tackle. I raced a KX250 and a Honda 600 4 stroke both with paddles. Umm well lets' just say I didn't make the top of the hill. I got caught in 2nd gear and it wouldn't shift up to third, when I finally got it in third I was going too slow and I quit the hill about 3/4ths of the way up.

I went back down and tried again this time I revved it to 4th really fast. I kept my speed and attacked the hill. I made it about 2/3rds of the way up and kicked it down to third, as it got steeper and steeper. I slowed to a funny fish walk speed of about 4 miles an hour. The grooves in the hill were tossing me all over the place, my legs were flapping around in the breeze behind me as I flailed like a fish to ascend to the peek of the Face of Sand Mountain. Ummm, well I am now sure I won't be doing that again. BUT I did make it.

No comments: